Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

Some of you might be saying another DS game?! Really, seriously? I think I failed to mention that I'm mostly a hand held gamer. I'm the type of person that gets the DS lite on pre-order and the DSi on the day it came out. I also have a PSP and I have my eye out on the new PSP coming out soon. Needless to say we are going to do a lot of handheld reviews for this reason. We have a lot of other games and we have all the systems and their time will come.

She said :

We actually got this game at the same time we got Ninjatown from a Circuit City store closing sale. I actually don't remember if this game was originally 35 dollars or just 30 dollars but we got it for 20% one of those prices. Yeah I usually remember that type of thing but I don't right now. Seriously I'm the type of person can remember when and how much I got all the items of clothes I am wearing. It's weird I know. ^_^ I think it's because I'm kind of a frugal person so each purchase is something that I think about before parting with the money.

I heard some great reviews about this game. The people that made this game also made a lot of great other RPG games. Let's see Sonic + RPG = Awesomeness. Sadly not true.

To be honest I didn't pick up this game to play for a while because I had ninjatown.

When I finally picked it up and started playing. At first it was kind of fun, then it got annoying.

There is way too much stylist action going on. The battles take forever and are not very fun.

I played it for about 3 hours thinking it would get better but it didn't. I got passed the first plot line of the story but that's about it. Didn't keep my interest and the game play was very annoying.

He said :

I had some pretty high expectations for this game. I mean, it's made by BioWare, the same folks who gave us Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect. As far as RPG's, these are some of the best.

The game starts of well enough. You can move Sonic on an overworld that is very reminiscent of classic Sonic stages. You can see the bad guys, so the encounters are not random. You actually have to touch the enemy to go into battle. There are some pretty neat touches, like the ability to roll into a ball and use the terrain to reach other areas. In fact, as the game progresses, your characters can gain more abilities that will allow you to reach more areas that are initially inaccessible. For instance, Tails ability to fly is one such ability.

Like many other RPG's, the battles are turn based. Your guys stand on one side, the bad guys stand on the other, and you take turns attacking each other. Since this game is on the DS, they had to apply some touch screen mechanics to the battles as well. When you do your special attacks, you have to use your stylus to follow a certain pattern of taps, squiggles and other such things. If you do not do it correctly, the special attack is not successful. At first, it was pretty fun to use this game mechanic, however, as the game progressed and the movements go harder, it became more frustrating than fun.

Maybe if I were more of a Sonic fan, I'd have powered through the game, but I'm not. If you like Sonic, it's a solid title, but as an RPG, it was not enough for me.

Breakdown :

She said : Nay
He said : Nay

If you want this game :

Amazon : Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

No comments:

Post a Comment