Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Puchi Puchi Virus


She said:

Another puzzle game! Did I mention I like puzzle games? Thus a lot of times I buy puzzle games.

The way I found out about this was I was cruising Amazon for video games one day and ran across this one, it didn’t have that many reviews but it had a few people saying how good and fun it is.

Then I saw it at Fry’s for a pretty good price and picked it up.

I wanted to start playing it right away which I did. Right when I came home I popped into my DS and started playing with it.

It was a kind of cute story where on a planet similar to ours there was a virus that turned everyone into these wacky characters and you as a doctor have to fix them. You are this blue haired doctor with two assistants once is a cute blonde hair girl and one is a human size chicken, both in nurses outfits.

It’s a pretty simple game you have to cure these people by knocking out the virus and each level there are different goals to cure the person. They are (a) points, (b) chains and (c) number of virus. First start out with easy levels and as you go through them more levels are unlocked.

The game play is really different from any other puzzle game I have ever played. Basically you have to make triangles connecting three like virus and then tap them to make them disappear and all the viruses in the triangle get lighted up too and you can make chains by connecting more virus together using the viruses from the inside and outside of your previous triangles before you tap on the first triangle you made, but the game moves really fast (almost all the games you play will be about 3 minutes long) so if you take too long making chains all the virus will turn grey.

Grey viruses are just stone versions of the viruses, meaning you can’t tap on them to make triangles. Also if you trap virus in your triangle that aren’t part of other triangles they turn grey and if you trap grey virus in your triangle they will turn back to normal viruses. As you play more and more viruses show up so having grey viruses really hurt you over time. Viruses also turn grey just over time, so if you don’t use a virus for a while it will turn grey.

Also the more viruses you destroy you get points for this pill icon, the more you destroy the stronger the pill is. If you get in a tight spot where almost all your viruses are grey you can use a pill to make them into normal viruses the stronger you pill the more grey viruses will turn to normal viruses.

The game is pretty easy at first especially when you got the hang of it or just quick with the stylus but the game turns really hard very suddenly. Even though each game last only 3 minutes it can be a bit frustrating.

At first I got stuck in the chain links I am actually pretty good up to 5 chains but the game seems to go up to 7 chains which is really hard to do on the board. In the points game you can get stuck too because it forces you to make higher chains which yield more points… I didn’t realize this till I played through one points game and even though I stayed alive for the 3 minutes I wasn’t even close to the points I need for the goal.

Making chains is probably the hardest part about this puzzle game and near the end it becomes a really important part to beating levels, there are 109 levels in this game and after the first 50 it’s all about making chains. I have gone about 70% of the way and right now the levels I have seem impossible to beat.

I did enjoy this game, but there was only about 4 hours of game play I got out of it and it doesn’t seem to have much in replay value other than playing levels over and over again because you just can’t beat it.

I wished they eased me more into the harder levels because it felt like it went from super easy to impossible in a heartbeat. I also wish they had more levels, with more characters to unlock. They have 109 levels, maybe having more would have been better and helped easing people into harder levels.

He said:

Another puzzle game. Man, we sure do play alot of these. Let's see where to start. First, it has a pretty wacky story line. It takes place on a planet, which is kinda like Earth, but not. All the people on this planet apparently turn into animals, and it is your job eradicate the virus. Now, the way you do this is by playing a puzzle game.

The game itself is pretty unique, or at least I've never played anything like it before. Viruses of various colors will pop up on the screen. When you tap three of the same color with the stylus, you can make them disappear. When you attach the three, it also creates a triangle. You can create multiple triangles and put together chains of virus destruction for more points. However, if you wait to long, or if there are unattached viruses inside you triangles, then they turn grey and you cannot use them unless you encase them in yet another triangle!

Ummm, yeah. Did that make sense at all?

Basically, each level has a goal. Sometimes the goal is just a number of points, which is simple. I won't spoil it, but there's a way to basically exploit the game to get massive points pretty easily. However, sometimes the goal is to get a number of chains, and when the number starts getting above three, I found it was impossible. So, in a nutshell, the game went from being super easy, which was mildly fun, to being super impossible, which was not fun. Now, I'm sure I could have spent a lot of time honing my stylus tapping skills and eventually became a master at this game, but I think I'm okay not doing that. In fact, that really does not sound like fun at all.

An short, this was a mediocre puzzle game that had some interesting and fun points, but I'd probably not play it again.

Breakdown :

She said : Nay
He said : Nay

If you want this game :

Amazon: Puchi Puchi Virus

1 comment: