Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Patapon

Patapon 1, not Patapon 2, yeah this is the first one. Sorry no new games yet, we are just going through what we have played to fill up this blog. ^_^

She said :

To be honest I have no idea how we got Patapon. I usually remember where, when and how much it cost, but for this one I have no idea. I’m thinking we got it as a used game at game stop and we probably bought it along with a few other used games because the games I don’t remember usually come about that way.

It’s a bummer that Sony is trying to take away the UMD and just have it all download-able (that’s exactly what they did for Patapon 2) but to me that doesn’t feel like really owning because I can’t resell it (even though I have never resold a game, though I have let people borrow my games). Yeah yeah we know game companies hate when people resell games because they make no profit from it and try to discourage people from doing that. Well if they made games cheaper than maybe the general public wouldn’t take to buying used games, I mean I want to play the game, I don’t want to acquire it through illegal means, so what am I going to do? Buy the used copy of course. Oops going off on a tangent.

Anyways this game is pretty interesting, so basically you have a set of patapons in your army that you can change up and move around. Basically you’re their god and your rhythm tells them what they should do.

Then you start a level with this army on the left side of the screen, then you press circle, square, triangle, and cross in a rhythm like pattern to make your army do various things as it moves from the left side to the right side of the screen.

There are move patterns and attack patterns. So what your army does depends on what patterns you enter. For someone that has rhythm, this might be a very fun game… for someone that doesn’t have rhythm - like me - it kind of sucked.

I mean I would get the right pattern, I love patterns, I am on top of patterns, but just because I didn’t put the pattern in with the right rhythm, my patapons didn’t do what I wanted them to do, in fact they would just stop in sadness and sometimes get mad at me.

I found it hard to keep up with the beat and rhythm but I have no rhythm at all so yeah… I saw this being a problem for me; you would think with a name like Melody I would have some musical talent… nope!

So I had to basically quit at the about third level because I just could get through the level with my lack of rhythm. For people that are rhythm-challenged this game should probably be a pass for you.

I must admit though the patapons are cute! If I could manage to get farther in the game I would probably definitely recommend it.

He said :

Seriously, if you take a rhythm game and mix it with a strategy game, you would get Patapon. I've definitely never seen a game quite like this before. They certainly do come up with some interesting games in Japan.

Basically, in Patapon, you control an army made up of different kinds of units. Some have spears, some have bows, some have axes, etc. Each has a different strength. You take your army and advance through a 2D level, moving from left to right. So far so good, right? Now, the crazy thing about the game is the way you move your band of merry men. You have to tap the buttons to the beat of the song. Depending on the pattern of buttons, you will give different orders. For instance, one combo will advance your units, while the other will order them to attack. Neat, huh?

Since I already like rhythm games (DDR or Rock Band anyone?) this game turned out to be a pretty fun experience. As you play thorough the level, the more button combos you get on the beat, the more fired up your troops get. If you get your combo's high enough, they go into fever mode where they all get super strong and fast. It's pretty satisfying to get your guys up to that level and destroy all your enemies! I can, however, see someone with no sense of rhythm getting really frustrated, so be forewarned! :)

So, all in all, it's a fun game. I mean, it's a rhythm strategy game, so it has to be fun!

Breakdown :

She said : Nay
He said : Yea

If you want this game :

Amazon : Patapon

No comments:

Post a Comment