Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Little Big Planet

We first heard about this game a long time ago and it seemed really exciting to play. Then last year at Comic Con they had demos that people can play and that got us more excited about it. So we pre-order it (this is kind of rare because we are kind of bargain gamers in the sense we usually buy games on sale or from Amazon's game deal of the day). Good thing we pre-ordered it, it seemed they had trouble with the game when it was released but pre-orders got the game sooner than anyone else. Yay Us.

She said :

When Patrick first mentioned this game, it looked like a platformer, and you know what - I am not very good at platformers... AT ALL. I really suck at jumping over things in a row... I will almost always mess up when having to do that and restart the dumb level! The only thing that drew me to this game was that it was CUTE! ^_^ I mean you wouldn't think a sack boy would be so cute... in fact one would think it's a bit scary but nope they were cute.

When we finally got the game we started playing it right away. It was pretty fun to play two players. In fact I had so much fun I actually created a PlayStation account because of this so I can decorate my little cardboard box thing and basically have my own game. Though it seems if you play with another person on their game, you beat the level too in your own personal game. Which I thought was a good deal since I got to keep all the cool stuff that I got when I was playing with Patrick. In this game there are a few things you can only get if you are playing with multiple people.

I really like this game was kind of hard but not too hard, so basically anyone can play. In the later levels it gets really tricky to play with more than one person (especially the last level!) because the camera gets funky at points. At times one of would just die out so the other person can go without all the weird camera stuff working against us. To do this, you have to use up all the life regeneration at a check point, so when there is one person left, if they die before reaching a new check point you have to start the level all over again. It was kind of stressful to be that person, so usually Patrick was the person that ran through without me.

We almost didn't beat the game because the last level is super hard! There is a big circle thing that you have to get through that's like a maze but it's moving too and there are spots where you can die on it. It was crazy... we must have tried to beat that level a few dozen times before giving up and deciding to move on to another game.


Then one of my friends was visiting us and he actually beat the game and offered to help us… seriously what he did in just an hours we couldn't do in a month… he helped us beat the game. It was crazy mad skillz he had. Seriously we couldn't have done it without him. Thanks Mark Kwan!!!

This game is pretty fun and meant to do in a group. I can totally see this as being a party game, the only thing is PS3 controllers cost a small fortune which is why we don't use it as party game. I guess our friends can bring over their controllers but we don't have many friends that have a PS3... we are a Wii generation it seems. ^_^

He said :

This game has gotten quite a bit of press. The game is basically a platformer, but in addition to the game, there is a robust level design mode. When I first got the game, I was really excited. I had heard nothing but good things about it. Well, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but I do think it was a little over-hyped.

The most disappointing aspect for me was the actual gameplay. It's a platformer, so there is a lot of running and jumping. However, the controls felt way too mushy. The physics in the game made it very hard to make precise jumps, and caused much frustration and dying. Also, the levels are split into three different layers (front, middle and back) to give a quasi-3D effect. If any of you played Guardian Heroes on the Sega Saturn, it's much like that. Anyway, the game tries to be smarter than you and assume what layer you want to be in as you progress. In most cases it works, but every once in a while it totally messes you up, causing more frustration and dying.

Regardless of the gameplay issues, the multi-player aspect is actually really fun. You can play with up to four total players. You play each level competitively for points, but there are also some puzzles scattered throughout the levels that allow you to cooperate.

The big draw to this game is the level designer. This is actually where this game shines. If you like building stuff, then this is definitely for you. It's like playing with really cool Lego's and being to build just about anything you want. What's really neat is that you have all the tools you need to build a levels just like the ones that are in the campaign mode. Unfortunately, my problem is that I'm not creative enough to make cool levels and lost interest in this mode fairly quickly.

Overall, Little Big Planet is a fun game with some cool bells and whistles.

Breakdown :

She said : Yea
He said : Yea

If you want this game :

Amazon : LittleBigPlanet

1 comment:

  1. Regarding the level designer, it does take imagination to be able to figure out what kinds of things to make, but my brother and I basically worked it through and made some nice levels.

    To me, the multiplayer (particularly if you combine offline with online - i.e. me and my brother and two other people on the internet) and the levels people made (as you can put your own levels online, and easily access other players') are the main draw of the game. If you'd like, please search me out and try my levels. My name is CGally81, and my best level is Festival Night. Lemme know if you guys like it!

    And try out the other levels people made. They widely vary across the board and cover a ton of different themes and ideas!

    ReplyDelete